Madden 10 League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Detroit Lions Feed

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SimsZilla

SimsZilla

Detroit Lions Feed Empty
PostSubject: Detroit Lions Feed   Detroit Lions Feed EmptyFebruary 14th 2009, 8:23 pm

After finishing the season 6-10, the Detroit Lions knew it was time for a change. As soon as the season ended they made changes.

Last season the Lions really had to strong leadership at QB, and really no options for the future. But GM SimsZilla saw that the Pats were shopping QB Matt Cassel. The Lions jumped on this offer and offered a 2nd and a 5th round draft pick in this years draft. The Pats so no better offer and accepted. When the deal was finalized the Lions immediately signed him to a long term deal. This gives the Lions a QB to build there franchise around.

The Lions knew that a big trade was needed to get the offseason jump started and that deal was ROLB Ernie Sims to the Giants for ROLB Rocky Mcintosh and the 13th selection in the draft. Ernie knew that he was going to be traded and had this to say "I loved my time in Detroit, The fans were some of the best I could ever ask for. I'm gonna miss Detroit, but I am glad that SimsZilla traded me to a place where I can start and make an impact. I hope Detroit the best."

The Lions have been trading away vet. players and only aquiring youthful players, and trying to get as many draft picks as they can. They traded vet. players like Dewayne White, Jon Kitna, and Paris Lenon and got back picks for them. Right now the Lions have 2 picks in the first, and 3 in the second. As we speak GM SimsZilla is still trying to aquire more picks in the upcoming draft, "I know it sounds pretty obvious, but the more picks, the easier it is to rebuild" - Simszilla.

If looking over the Lions roster you can see a very big weakness at WR. Calvin Johnson is the only person out of their WR's that is a capable starter. Mario Manningham is a project still, while David Patten very well might retire. RG is also a weakness, Stephen Peterman recently got resigned to a vet. min 2 year deal earlier this week, this is an insurance policy just incase the Lions can't find a suitable replacement. Peterman can start, but an upgrade is needed. LB is another glaring weakness. The only person that has actually started before is Rocky McIntosh. MLB Jordin Dizon is coming off a decent rookie season and says "I am ready to start, I want to let the world see what I can do." He could very well be the starting MLB next year depending on what the coaching staff sees. As I see it however is that they need a starter at LOLB and MLB. Dizon is not ready to start, even though he may think he is.

The Lions secondary is very young and can only improve. CB's Terrence McGee is an all-pro corner while CB Cedric Griffin has only been in the league 3 years and is a rising star. Then there nickle back is 2nd round pick last year Tracey Porter who is poised to have a breakout year. There saftey's are also young, (Charles Godfrey and Roman Harper) Both had very good seasons next year and look to improve there performance from last year.

Overall this offseason could be the turning point in this Lions franchise, a franchise which has had lows and not to many high points. With the upcoming FA and Draft we will see what the GM can do and if he can turn around the losing culture. Keep you eyes open for my next article which will be writtten around the begining of the draft/after FA.
Back to top Go down
Harper41
Admin
Harper41

Detroit Lions Feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions Feed   Detroit Lions Feed EmptyFebruary 14th 2009, 11:01 pm

Roman Harper is the most underrated SS in the league, unfortanetly I dont ever see him getting a rating boost.
Back to top Go down
PatsNats09
Admin
PatsNats09

Detroit Lions Feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions Feed   Detroit Lions Feed EmptyFebruary 14th 2009, 11:19 pm

Nice writeup Sims, you can definitely turn them into a contender.
Back to top Go down
SimsZilla

SimsZilla

Detroit Lions Feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions Feed   Detroit Lions Feed EmptyFebruary 17th 2009, 8:08 pm

Harper41 wrote:
Roman Harper is the most underrated SS in the league, unfortanetly I dont ever see him getting a rating boost.
Sad that sucks
Back to top Go down
SimsZilla

SimsZilla

Detroit Lions Feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions Feed   Detroit Lions Feed EmptyFebruary 17th 2009, 8:08 pm

SoxNats09 wrote:
Nice writeup Sims, you can definitely turn them into a contender.
Thanks, I hope i can. all depends on the draft and FA
Back to top Go down
imevil

Detroit Lions Feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions Feed   Detroit Lions Feed EmptyFebruary 19th 2009, 8:54 pm

i could give you some pics
Back to top Go down
imevil

Detroit Lions Feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions Feed   Detroit Lions Feed EmptyFebruary 19th 2009, 8:55 pm

picks*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Detroit Lions Feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions Feed   Detroit Lions Feed Empty

Back to top Go down

Detroit Lions Feed
Page 1 of 1